DODS Map dod_ruralconvoy"WIP" (Advanced)

Got mapping skills? Wanna learn? Mapping Topics Here
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member
Games Played: DoD:S

DODS Map dod_ruralconvoy"WIP" (Advanced)

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:49 am

Hello everyone I am letting you in on a little project that is on the back burner for the moment but I feel that you will all be very interested and pleased with.

The current map I am working on for Day of Defeat: Source has been going through some evolutions of it's own and I have finally chosen the direction I am going to take with it.

Setting:
The Allies and Axis are pushing against each others lines between two rural towns each separated by a small bridge.
Both the Allies and Axis have advancing vehicle convoys that must reach the other town.

The convoys each consist of 2 light vehicles (low health and destructable through regular weapons) 2 support (Medium health destructable through rockets) and a tank (High health destructable through copious amounts of rockets and unyielding pain also don't be surprised if some of the rockets dud on it).

Win conditions:
Eliminate all enemy vehicles and "bridge": (the bridge is part of this for the simple fact if both sides have lost their vehicles and this is only enabled if they lose their vehicles)
get your vehicles to the enemy bridge.
if both sides manage to somehow get their vehicles to their respective destinations the team that passes the thresh hold wins first or if at the same time well I honestly don't know.

Medium/Heavy vehicles can only be destroyed with rockets (maybe grenades).
Landmines may be in the outskirts of the battle fields to prevent over zealous flankers. (Also since this is a flat rural area land mines may be used to prevent the players from reaching the map edge to prevent possible 4th wall breach and to also prevent sniper abuse aka not actually playing the map and camping)

I already have the vehicles set up properly with only 1 small hic-up which is a left over sound loop after the entities destruction. I corrected it with a servcmd entity forcing the server to enable cheats for .02 seconds while it forces a stopsound cmd into the server to prevent the annoying engine loop on vehicle death.
If anyone knows of a work around I would love to hear it.

Also when the vehicles reach the center of the map I was thinking of scripting in a battle between the two sides where the vehicles fire and damage each other while they pass by to the enemies bridge.

I may also put in some form a artillery for each side so that they can bombard spread out areas of the tree lines.
Forcing the enemy flankers (the ones by the map edge) to come back towards the objectives.

This goes without saying but yes each side will have spawn protection so that this community will not have to micro manage the level.

I would very much like input for this and if anyone knows of a work around for that sound issue I would be overjoyed.

Bear in mind this is a scenario oriented level design to hopefully spice up how traditional dods maps are made; any comments that offer unrealistic goals or are not in applicable to a serious war time scenario will be ignored.

Progress on dod_ruralconvoy "WIP":

Currently in progress:
Main map Construction
Axis riverside
Axis spawn

Completed:
Allies spawn area (Not including spawn protection)
Allies Rail Bridge (Destruct-able objective)
Allied river side (4 building that players can enter, Sandbag fortifications, breakables. and props)
Axis Rail Bridge (Destruct-able objective)
Main map cordon
Map boundary / Sky box defined (where the map ends)

To do list:
Axis spawn
Axis river side (Buildings, props, etc.)
Spawn Protection -Alpha Tested- (If anyone has some neat ideas I'm listening) Also any ideas that revolve around the point_hurt entity will be thrown out unless you can prove that will only target a specific team (Code required).
Main map construction (buildings, props, etc.)
Vehicle Convoy (Destruct-able objective) -Alpha Tested-
Path_track nodes for convoy
Input/output linking for convoy to bridges (win scenario)
Sky box boundary /and 3d sky box
Sounds and ambiance
Artillery/landmine boundaries for map edges (if the engine can handle it when everything else is in)
Water optimization (Shaders, movement, and reflectivity)
Mini-map overlay

Things that won't appear in these update lists:
Map optimization - I do that as I make the level and is the only way to go about it in my opinion. Don't worry though I am constantly inspecting the level.
Custom assets - I will not be doing models, sounds, textures, overlays, decals, and programming (which can cause plugin/server conflicts). The only custom content I might add is some simple textures to place into the level as a credit list.

If you think I need to add something let me know!
Last edited by <SK> | .C7.Einhander on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | Luggz
<SK> Member

Re: DODS Map dod_ruralconvoy"WIP" (Advanced)

Postby <SK> | Luggz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey hey another possible mapper? :pbjt:
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:57 am

Not a possible mapper but a full on game developer. Any idea about the sound issue or do you think my servercmd work around is the best atm?
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | Luggz
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | Luggz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:06 pm

It's probably that the sound is being taken out of a buffer and the loaded back in when it's started again, or some similar source of overhead that should have been accounted for. Since WAV files aren't encoded, there should be no delay for decoding them. OGG files were designed to be able to loop as well.
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:46 pm

They really need to add a entity that can just do a clean up of unused brushes and entities or at least add more power to what you can actually do with them.
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 am

Hey guys I'm looking for specific props to fill a factory/foundry without them being to high tech (using hl2 assets). I remember seeing some in other maps I think but I can't seem to find them or remember their respective names.

I remember a lathe and some simple tools but I may be confusing that asset with something else entirely.
I also don't feel like making a bunch of custom models for one time use so I will not be adding custom meshes to the level.

If anyone has a clue let me know!
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am

Progress on dod_ruralconvoy "WIP":

Currently in progress:
Main map Construction
Axis riverside
Axis spawn

Completed:
Allies spawn area (Not including spawn protection)
Allies Rail Bridge (Destruct-able objective)
Allied river side (4 building that players can enter, Sandbag fortifications, breakables. and props)
Axis Rail Bridge (Destruct-able objective)
Main map cordon
Map boundary / Sky box defined (where the map ends)

To do list:
Axis spawn
Axis river side (Buildings, props, etc.)
Spawn Protection -Alpha Tested- (If anyone has some neat ideas I'm listening) Also any ideas that revolve around the point_hurt entity will be thrown out unless you can prove that will only target a specific team (Code required).
Main map construction (buildings, props, etc.)
Vehicle Convoy (Destruct-able objective) -Alpha Tested-
Path_track nodes for convoy
Input/output linking for convoy to bridges (win scenario)
Sky box boundary /and 3d sky box
Sounds and ambiance
Artillery/landmine boundaries for map edges (if the engine can handle it when everything else is in)
Water optimization (Shaders, movement, and reflectivity)
Mini-map overlay

Things that won't appear in these update lists:
Map optimization - I do that as I make the level and is the only way to go about it in my opinion. Don't worry though I am constantly inspecting the level.
Custom assets - I will not be doing models, sounds, textures, overlays, decals, and programming (which can cause plugin/server conflicts). The only custom content I might add is some simple textures to place into the level as a credit list.

If you think I need to add something let me know!
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Ok everyone your time to shine is now!

I'm developing the middle of the map and I want someone or a group of people from this fine community to design it.

To give you an idea I'm looking for a path map (How the paths of attack will look as if looking down from high up above).

I'm asking you guys this because I feel the community should have a say in the matter.
-Conditions for Ideas-
-Must have roads large enough for vehicles to traverse
-Must have paths that intersect in structures or obstacles
-Cannot be something silly or scenario breaking
-Must take into account the terrain of the level, and must either use that terrain to the advantage or disadvantage.

Formats that will be accepted:
.jpeg
.bmp
.pdn
.tga
.gif
(will not accept .tif .tiff or .dds)
I do not expect art work just a rough view of what you are looking for.
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*
<SK> | Loki
<SK> Officer

Postby <SK> | Loki » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 am

I know I have asked this before in mumble, but what rough area size is this map as to others? It sounds like an awesome idea for one and I'd be willing to give two cents for a central fighting area.
It has to be even fighting level for both sides of course?
<SK> | .C7.Einhander
<SK> Member

Postby <SK> | .C7.Einhander » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:30 pm

When you are designing the section all you have to remember is balance. The axis/allies sides don't need to be identical to achieve this.

The size is not an issue here because I want the community to feel free to express themselves in this. (I will adjust the design and modify it accordingly)
However some key points to remember are to design something that all classes in the game can find functionality in.

So good cover for the close ranged classes, some sparse cover for the rifles and snipers, and always ensure there are spots to set up a machine gun (as well flank-able routes) that way no matter the class the map is fun for everyone.

elevation is up to you guys, if you guys want level ground all the way through fine or if you want hills or cliffs that is grand to.

Also any designs given may be altered to fit with the spawn areas and path_tracks of the vehicles.

I will also be making it a point to prevent players from using the "jump" ability to get into what I would feel is a exploit spot.
*Beep* *Boop* *Bop*

Return to “General Mapping Discussions”